With pressure cookers seeing a renewal in popularity over the past decade, there seems to be a mad rush for the next generation of kitchen equipment to come out. In the midst of all these pressure cookers, it’s hard to find one that is cost effective, safe and durable all at once. Luckily, the Presto pressure cooker has finally emerged as a contender for this trifecta of criteria, all of which are essential to a good cooking experience. Presto is one of the top rated pressure cooker brand and they have best pressure cookers for customers that go with affordable prices.
The Presto pressure cooker is a professional quality piece of equipment which allows you to cook food fast and easy with little to no clean-up involved. Because of the way the pressure cooker works, nutrients are trapped inside as well as flavor, meaning that you’ll enjoy a healthier, heartier, tastier meal each and every time.
The Presto brand pressure cooker comes in a 6-quart size and is made of stainless steel to prevent tarnishing and wear and tear. It’s a multi-purpose pot, allowing you to create everything from easy stews and soups to complicated chicken and beef main meal recipes. Plus, the Presto does it faster than conventional ovens thanks to its newer design and the way in which pressure cookers work. Dishes like chicken cacciatore are ready in just under nine minutes.
Note: Presto also created Presto 01781 23-Quart Pressure Canner and Cooker, one of the best pressure canner in the market at the moment.
And that’s what makes the Presto so attractive (besides the safety features listed below): it’s great for weeknight dinners, allowing you to prepare home-cooked meals in just minutes. Even after a long day of work, you can eat a meal that tastes like it took all day to make. From basic soups to stocks, stews and pot roasts; the Presto pressure cooker comes with a 65 recipe booklet that shows you how to make it all, even desserts in just five minutes. You can tenderize beef and pork, cook chicken, fish and veggies all faster and healthier than you can in a conventional oven or even a microwave!
Features of the Presto Pressure Cooker
The Presto comes with a heavy-duty lid that locks into place during cooking to ensure that the steam stays inside where it belongs. Steam from pressure cookers can be very dangerous so the locking lid is essential; but Presto takes it one step further, giving you an inner sealant ring which helps keeps the steam on the food and off of you.
Our Review Of The Presto Pressure Cooker Range
In addition to these safety features, the Presto cooker also has a built-in, pop-up pressure indicator that is accompanied by a very simple steam release valve. Further, there is also an overpressure plug which automatically lets off steam if it builds up in excess.
The stainless steel body of the Presto can be cleaned with non-abrasive cleaners and occasionally shined up with metal polish. It is able to be fully immersed in water and the sealing ring is a snap to clean off after each use. The Presto has a vent pipe which makes cleansing a breeze; simply use a small brush or pipe cleaner. Other pressure cookers don’t clean up this easily. The air vent, cover lock and overpressure plug are also fully removable so full cleansing is easy as 1, 2, 3.
Measuring nine inches in diameter (seventeen inches if you are including the handles) and eight and a half inches tall (with the lid), the Presto pressure cooker fits compactly on your counter or inside your cabinets for easy storage.
Pros of the Presto Pressure Cooker
The Presto cooks veggies in 2 minutes while cooking meats in as little 10 minutes. It pressurizes very quickly (5 to 8 minutes) when compared to similarly priced cookers.
- This speed also carries over into the cleanup department as the Presto comes with almost all fully removable parts.
- It’s dishwasher safe
- Ideal for use on regular, smooth-top and induction ranges
- Cover locks on and has an indicator which shows when there is pressure inside the cooker and prevents the cover from being opened until pressure is safely reduced
- Helper handle makes handling the unit easy and safe
- Comes with extended 12-year limited warranty
- Very good price (under $40)
- Sturdy construction and design
- Holds heat in better than other pressure cookers
- Tight seal traps in moisture and juices in foods, giving you more flavor and nutrients. Meats are more tender
Cons of the Presto Pressure Cooker:
- It can be tricky to hold the handle with one hand, something some recipes call for depending on the steam release
- The handle is a bit on the larger side which is good for getting a grasp on, but for those with smaller hands, it may present a slight issue
- The top cap often takes a little bit of extra time when cleaning because of the pressurized build-up. Extra care should be paid attention with continued use.
- The curve of the handle catches liquid that drips down which does make it possible to injure yourself with hot water when opening the cover. For this reason, care must always be taken not only with this, but with every pressure cooker
- One thing not mentioned in the instructions enough is that you should not remove the cap while steam is blowing. This steam comes up faster than you can move your hand from which will result in a burn. Of course, this is true of all pressure cookers.
- The Presto builds up steam very rapidly meaning you need to double check that the lid is on correctly. While this means your meals will be done faster, it also means you will have less time to correct your mistakes
Overall, the Presto pressure cooker is a fast, economic way to enjoy tasty, hearty meals at home. The cleanup is easier than most other pressure cookers and the rapidness with which the steam builds inside the cooker makes this a perfect choice for working parents as well as those who just don’t want to spend hours in the kitchen. The 12 year extended warranty shows that Presto stands behind the quality of their product, something that you really want in a pressure cooker, especially one that is this economically priced.